Instagram Reels is a new feature that allows users to create and discover 15 to 30-second multi-clip videos with audio overlays. It is essentially Instagram’s way of competing with the surging popularity of TikTok.
While it may not sound ground-breaking, there are a lot of fun features included in Reels, such as:
- Audio is where you can search the Instagram music library. You can also use your own original audio, which will be attributed to you, and available for others to use if you have a public account.
- Speed controls exactly what it says. It either slows down, or speeds up part of the video or audio you have selected. This tool is particularly useful if you want to create a time lapse, or make a slow-motion video.
- Effects houses many special effects to choose from in a one-stop gallery. These are made by both Instagram and creators from all over the world. You can even record multiple clips with different effects if you desire.
- You can also set the timer to countdown before recording to give yourself a head start. It’s worthwhile practising with this feature to ensure you get your timings right. This is also where you’ll choose the length of your content, especially if you have a capped timeframe in mind.
- Align is a handy tool that appears once you’ve recorded. This will allow you to line up objects from the previous clip, which helps when trying to achieve seamless transitions. You’ll have probably seen this before with outfit changes, or adding new items to a shot. This can be very handy for businesses showcasing different variations of their products.
How can tourism businesses use Reels?
Reels are easy-to-use, and usually have trends that users and businesses alike can pick up and put their own spin on. For example:
- Valuable content that informs (e.g. ‘Where to go for lunch in Newry’, ‘Scenic train ride to Derry’, ‘Inside Dunluce Castle’ etc.)
- Product demonstrations
- ‘Day in the life’ content
You can use Instagram’s ‘Search and Explore’ feature to find trending Reels and use these ideas to apply to your business.